Collection: Part 3

Reflection

reflection after finishing the work

IMG_3825.jpglast Friday I finished working on the  final piece. it was once again different from what I expected, I originally designed there to be a plastic shell on the sculpture meaning the protection and goodness that religion do to people and I have finished making the plastic shell but then I found the affect was strange.The whole thing was made of clay then something made of plastic just don't fit with the whole atmosphere.Besides, I don't think that it's gonna stick to the clay board after it's properly dried,  and after discussing with tutor I give up the shell and instead the protruding and sunken effect of the surface mean there are two side of the same thing. I really enjoy the process of art creation, it's the process of constantly denying my previous thoughts and push myself to acquitted with things. Then I thought about painting the whole thing white except the curving side to give a stronger visual impect on people , cause the sculpture will be in white and black. but I will have to do it on tuesday when it got dried properly

description to the final image

After finishing the work I want to write something to explain it. this wall decoration has two meanings the imprint hands stood for destruction, as if some invisible hands were destructing the sculpture. and the intruding hands and arms stood for protection. while children faces stood for faces of angle, and religion.

the final image, after the imprint. , before painting it white

after tutorial

After today"s tutorial , I felt necessary to make some changes to the object that I am making. I felt that the original colour of clay would be fine but the teacher told me that it wouldn"t be neat enough, so after finishing it tomorrow, I would use white paint to cover it. there are some little problems happened to my work I fond that after sticking the plaster made pieces to the clay board, and after it"s properly dried, it just don"t seem to cover the gaps or creaks between the plaster and clay board, maybe I will use glue tomorrow to enhance it

Reflection on 23/08

Today I made a new casting model with alginate. I felt this one would be better because getting used to the material, I would shake the basin and get the bubble out of alginate liquid before putting the rubber doll in. So I made three more doll"s faces and arms today, I would use a laser to out line the dolls shape first before pulling it out. this was it may avoid it getting damaged.

finished body parts

the making process after first day"s work

After the tutorial in the morning, the tutor introduced to me a new material which I have never used before. its alginate. what troubled me most about my project is that its difficult for me to make model by plaster with out long time working or professional help. But alginate is a kind of material that's been able to dry in two minutes and it could be formed into anything. The first try out was very unsuccessful because I did not shake bubbles out of the material during the forming process. so the face actually look quite terrifying like there are bubbles coming out of the face. the plaster actually took one hour to dry so it wob"t be very quick

finished body parts

pour plaster in the model, will less amount of water

pour plaster in the model

resolve plaser

resolve plaster

Text box

I have done a lot of experiment with plaster before, and it some times get messy if not putting the right amount of water ,its like a kind of yogart shape

second try

First try, lots of bubbles

teacher's tutorial on the materials and making process

my reflection on material

teacher's tutorial on changing the theme, very useful

teacher's tutorial on doing research page

Image

Image

Image

Image

model making

model making

model making

IMG_3207.jpg

model making

IMG_3205.jpg

model making

IMG_3204.jpg

Text box

IMG_3203.jpg.1

model making

IMG_3202.jpg

model making

IMG_3201.jpg.1

Image

8 August

Yesterday had tutorial with Georgia, and did some sketches on each project. Georgia told me that I could develop further depend upon the sketches that I have done for dark arts theme. like making some ceramic pieces on different shapes of hands, and fill them with threads, as if they are coming out of the fingertips. I like the idea and decide to do some detail sketch and visit the ceramic workshop on Friday. IMG_3087.jpg

Image

Image

sketch for the third theme

Text box

In this theme I tried to depict asperies flying in the sky and even invisible around us but still the exist. and they should be in  movable forms but the actual working process will be difficult, there will be lots of small body parts, and shooting in outside scenery would also atke up lots of time

sketch of first theme

IMG_2996.jpg.1

museum tour

Text box

After the try out this weekend, I decided not to use traditional way of making a model by plaster and clay. as can be seen from the picture, it was very unsuccessful experiment, because of equipment limitation. I bought the wooden hand from Cass Art, put plastic gloves on it to make it look like real hands, bury it in the clay and pull melted plaster on the hand, trying to make a proper model, but the wooden hand just wont stay to the clay, and fonally when its dried and when I tried to pull the hand out of plaster, the plaster model just creak up

Text box

The sketch that I draw this week is about medieval monster showed in an academic article, depicted as horse shape and human faced trying to lure passer by to steal their soul

sketches for the second theme

three themes

I have settled on my three themes and they are: protection, dark arts and structure. the first one I want to do a kind of creative art form, that is to combine ceramic arts with stage art, maybe to create a kind of puppet show. the second is mainly based on my love for myths, folk lore and legend, something gothic and medieval. as for the third one, I have always want to develop this further on the third project, but because of time limit, I wasn't able to do so at that time. 

research on theme 3

I remembered that in project 3, structure and surface, I have always wanted to develop the coral shape into something else, like some patterns put together by baby's face, nut because of the time limit, I wasn't able to do so at that time, and the tutor told me that I could develop it in the final project.It's mainly based on my belief that when we were born, every one was created equal, which was pure and innocent, and the feature looked very serene and peaceful. I have seen in the victorian museum that people hung faces of people who had done great tribute to the country on the wall, as a kind of reminder and remembrance to those great thinkers, then why not make a wall decoration with children's faces to remind people the importance of keeping a youthful heart and always think best of people in today's world. IMG_2994.jpg

11 August

Lester day had tutorial with teachers, in which occasion they gave me suggestion on how to make mode tomorrow. It's quite difficult for me to make a hand mode, and empty inside. So they suggested me in making the model by gloves and bending wires. After forming it into shape, I would put plaster into the glove and after it dried, the hand would naturally came into shape. in the afternoon I found some references from the library. 

13/8/2017

This Friday we got accessed to the workshop, but I was not able to use the ceramic workshop so I bought some materials to make things at home. I used plaster and wooden hand model that I bought at the art shop. but still, I hope that I might get the chance to use the ceramic workshop next week.IMG_3200.jpg

reflection on the poster

Reflection on making the poster

At first I felt it's such a new idea for me to make a poster to present my idea to wide audience. The hardest aspect in summarizing my idea on a piece of paper and only in 20 words is that I HAVE TO PUT ALL THE back ground information and the research that I have done in very short sentences. I think the value of doing this small project is to enhance our ability of doing research, help us to acquire skills of digital work like Ps and Id in very short time period. and give us the training to finish things in high quality way , with limited time. In my point of view, I think people might understand what I want to express through my work and my description, they may not agree with me on some point due to religious problem is always very partial and personal, but I think as a designer I don't want to put into mind what other people think of my idea, is what I want to express that matters the most. 

As to the new technics that I have learned, I think they are all very useful in the future, because we are always required to present our ideas to the public, and I was not an expert in using things like Ps or Id, I am very thankful that teachers gave us all a chance to learn it. I hope that we may have more chance to learn things like therein the future. 

20/8/2017

After the tutorial on Friday, the tutor said that my theme was not clear enough and helped me to figure it out . My theme should be about the protection and destruction of religion, and instead of making some hands statues placed on the ground, I would make a kind of transparent shell out of plastic or  other material to show the protection, and some whole faced ceramic pieces inside the shell, to show protection, while some fragmented face parts outside the shell to show destruction, also to make some religious icon inside and outside the shell, because after a day's work in the 3D workshop, I found it so hard to make the vacant hand forms. 

first theme development

I have finished my sketching for the first theme, it was mostly based on religion, because of the historical story in our country is that people built caves on sand cliffs in the desert centuries ago and they  set up statues of buddhist inside the cave, praying for protection on their way to transport goods to other countries. So buddhist is the religious symbol for protection. I wish to make some porcelain figure wearing silk clothes flying in the air, and here is my sketch. the research for this is based on a book called ART MASTERPIECES OF DUNHUANG.IMG_2997.jpg

25/08/2017

For the past few days, I was doing my experience with Alginate and plaster to make the final outcome. It always took me two or three times to make a perfect regular model with Alginate because there's always so much bubble in the substance to destray the outcome, and sometimes I have to be really careful when pulling the paster out ignorer not to break the piece. PS it's really a quick process for alginate to form so I will have to be real quick. up to now, I have finished about thirteen pieces and I am ready to put them on the clay board that I have made.

second theme development

The second theme is about dark arts , because of my special interest in myths, gothic stories,etc. so during wednesday's visit time I went to Oxford to collect samples on churches and sculptures on those building. And use monsters that's mentioned in ancient greek stories to draw some patterns, I am thinking about maybe this the second theme could be combined with the first theme, because these gothic monsters and symbols of disease were the things that people fear, and maybe I could print them on the fabric that's worn by buddhist structures stating that the buddhist protect us from those fears. 

museum tour, to the medieval town Oxford, this picture was taken from shrist church

museum tour to Oxford. This picture was taken outside the trinity collage

museum tour, this picture was taken in the bodleian Museum, showing saint holding out bible to show to deciples

explanation for second theme

I painted this sketch and all sketches below based on my research into the symbols on medieval churches. I had observed that sculptures inside the churches all tend to be angles, and forms that people believe to be placed in heaven. but outside the churches, which means the outside world to architecture at that time, are symbols stood for evil. Like snack, and the "evil" eye, which I put together in my sketches, I planned to imprint these image on my final works to resemble the evil from the world. 

sketch for theme2

sketch for theme2

Text box

I have recently done some sketches on the materials that I planned to put under my final pieces. I found a book in the library called signs and symbols by an American author called Miranda Bruce. and done a series if paintings on it. it"s like a combination of evil things storming together. I have done a black series containing two pictures and a white series, contain two . all of the things  there are a lot of pictures on terrace or statues in churches showed in the book. Take snack  for example, snack is a symbol of malice and greedy in Bible. Cause it seduced adam in paradise to steal fruits. And it is a common belief for people in the past that all their bad lucks were caused by the evil eye. so these two are the symbol That I put in my illustration most.

sketch for theme2

Image

sketch for theme2

IMG_2203.jpg