Collection: Part 3

Research

artists that relates to final piece

1. Clare Cunnen: The Hands sculpture was actually very inspiring, cause it gave me the idea of putting out stretching hand forms in my work. She is a religious artist, she enjoyed using traditional religious sculptures like works from Michelangelo and reforming them to gave them modern meanings. so I mainly looked through a lot of his work.
  2. Luca Della Robbia, she is a 15th century artist, and mainly worked on wall decoration. Maybe it's because of the age that she's living in her works are about religious stories. I admire her skills of making the imprint and protruding image look so detail and vivid. That's how I decide to make my work set on a piece of plain board.

the relationship between child's face and religion

angle's faces often appears in western arts like fresco on the roof of a cathedral, and most of it appears in forms of children faces as young children often stands for innocent and purity of mind, and it suits the ideal that people hold for heaven so in my project I decided to use the faces of little children as symbols of religion 47129.jpeg1497 

Luca Della Robbia,1497

material put under the structure

salt

salt is a vital ingredient to our life. it also have religious meaningBut salt was always difficult to come by and it became a highly valued item of trade. So valued in fact, that it served as a monetary exchange. The early Romans controlled the price of salt and would increase the price to fund their wars then reduce the price so as to make salt available to the common citizen. In fact, Roman soldiers were paid in salt. The word salary comes from the Latin world salarium, which means payment in salt. Sal is Latin for salt. This is also the time when the phrase “worth ones salt” originated. The Romans actually built roads specifically for making the transportation of salt more convenient. One such road, the Via Salaria, led from Rome to the Adriatic sea, where salt was produced by evaporating sea water, a common method still used today.

materials put under the structure

ASH

POMPEII STORY

Pompeii was an ancient Roman town-city near modern Naples, in the Campania region of Italy, in the territory of the comune of Pompei. Pompeii, along with Herculaneum and many villas in the surrounding area, was mostly destroyed and buried under 4 to 6 m (13 to 20 ft) of volcanic ash and pumice in the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in AD 79The eruption destroyed the city, killing its inhabitants and burying it under tons of ash. Evidence for the destruction originally came from a surviving letter by Pliny the Younger, who saw the eruption from a distance and described the death of his uncle Pliny the Elder, an admiral of the Roman fleet, who tried to rescue citizens. The site was lost for about 1,500 years until its initial rediscovery in 1599 and broader rediscovery almost 150 years later by Spanish engineer Rocque Joaquin de Alcubierre in 1748.[1] The objects that lay beneath the city have been preserved for more than a millennium because of the long lack of air and moisture. These artefacts provide an extraordinarily detailed insight into the life of a city during the Pax Romana. During the excavation, plaster was used to fill in the voids in the ash layers that once held human bodies. This allowed archaeologists to see the exact position the person was in when he or she died.

the story of Ptimg.jpeg

The story of pompeii was quite important to my research because Pompeii was a legendary city, there are some myths about it that even now people cannot figure out, it's also full of religious meaning. After the volcano eruption, the city was burnt to ashes, and it's people frozen at the gesture . I was thinking about whether my final out come could use something out of ash, after mixing it with water, it would be just like clay. But it would also require lots of burning, very hard to operate.

MATERIALS PUT UNDER THE STRUTURE

SAND

Jesus walking on sand is one of the miracles of Jesus recounted in the New Testament. There are accounts of this event in three of the Gospels.

This story, following the miracle of the feeding of the five thousand, tells how Jesus sent the disciples by ship back to the "other side" of the Sea of Galilee (the eastern side) while he remained behind, alone, to pray. Night fell and the sea arose as the ship became caught in a wind storm. After rowing against the wind most of the night, the disciples saw Jesus walking on the sea. They were frightened, thinking they were seeing a spirit, but when Jesus told them not to be afraid, they were reassured. After Jesus entered the ship, the wind ceased, and they arrived at land.

According to the version in the Gospel of Matthew, Peter "walked on the water" towards Jesus, but he became afraid and began to sink, and Jesus rescued him.[1]

So sand also has religious meaning , and it's easy to get, it could be used under my piece to emphasize the theme

research on concrete

Concrete is a composite material composed of coarse aggregate bonded together with a fluid cement that hardens over time. Most concretes used are lime-based concretes such as Portland cement concrete or concretes made with other hydraulic cements, such as ciment fondu. However, asphalt concrete, which is frequently used for road surfaces, is also a type of concrete, where the cement material is bitumen, and polymer concretes are sometimes used where the cementing material is a polymer.pie-concretenetwork-com_68062.jpg

research on plaster

Plastic is a very nice material for use to make quick mode and it is accessible through 3D workshop. I could use the wooden hand mode that I bought from art shop to set up all sorts of forms of shapes then use plaster to make the final outcome. The only thing that matter is that I have to make a lot of plastic model as each one could only be used once. 290px-Plastic_household_items.jpg

Image

Image

research on alginate

alginate is a kind of powder usually in color of light green after mixing with water it will come in shape in about two minutes , so the process will be fast, but the disadvantage is that there might be a lot of bubbles so that influence the out come of mode and the peeling off is quite soft and unshaped so the only way that I can APPLY IT TO MY PROJECT is to mix it with water in volume of 1:3

the instruction that I have found on line is linked below

http://www.instructables.com/id/Alginate-mold-face/

christian icon

christian icon

christian icon

icon

Eastern Orthodox tradition holds that the creation of Christian images dates back to the very early days of Christianity, and there it has been a continuous tradition since then. Modern academic art history considers that, while images may have existed earlier, the tradition can only be traced back to the 3rd century, and the images that survive from Early Christian art were often very different from later ones. The icons of later centuries can be linked, often closely, to images from the 5th century onwards, though very few of these survive. There was enormous destruction of images during the Byzantine Iconoclasm of 726-842, although this did settle for good the question of the appropriateness of images. Since then icons have had a great continuity of style and subject; far greater than in the images of the Western church220px-The_Ladder_of_Divine_Ascent.jpg.1. At the same time there has been change 

CLAIRE CURNEEN

she is a ceramic artist that I found on magazine and she mainly worked on religious purpose, like recreating the famous statue  by Michoangelo, curneen_2013_blue..jpg

geng xue

This artist was mentioned before, she was a chinese artist who gave me great influence because  of her trying to use innovation way to express her idea, she put ceramic figure on stage show, and used the texture of the material to creat a kind of mysterious feeling because I am working on religious icon, I thought this was really helpfulGeng Xue.jpg

LUCA DELLA ROBBIA

Robbia continued to create decorative schemes using his new technique, including the roundels of Apostles in Filippo Brunelleschi’s Pazzi Chapel in Florence, along with the terracotta decorations in the cupola of the porch (1443). In 1448 he was asked to glaze the vault of the Chapel of the Crucifix (San Miniato al Monte, Florence), which was designed by the famous architect Michelozzo. In 1449 he created the lunette over the entrance of the San Domenico church in Urbino. Working with assistants and apprentices, including several of his own family, Robbia went on to receive numerous relief and altarpiece commissions. One of the finest examples of his Renaissance art from this period is the enamelled terracotta ceiling of the Chapel of Cardinal of Portugal in San Miniato, Florence (1466). His last major work in this glaze medium was an altarpiece in the Palazzo Vescovile at Pescia (1472)

He was a renaissance artist who had great influence on me because of his use of pure color, like gold, yellow or sky blue. and I thought that the figure he created were all vividluca-della-robbia-virgin-thumb.jpg

research on theme3

this research is based on project 3, constructer and surface, because I have always wanted todo something other than cora hooks but there wasn't enough time. I liked the structures of undersea plants, they always grow in bunches, like coral, or sea weeds. and I think that there's a sense of beauty and wisdom in the structures built by animals in nature, for example, bee hives, and bird nest. the nest also inspired Chinese people to build their houses , like those wooden structures  in ancient times. so I really want to do something that's got to do with structure. IMG_3076.jpg

research on the first theme

the first theme was "protection" of course there is all sorts of protection on earth, but the one that I want to discuss about is the importance state that religions had in protecting people from fear in time of thousands of years. Buddhist, which even has a longer history than christian, and still had millions of followers through out the world, is the topic that I want to express through this work. In China there's a place which had stood for thousands of years and hold the most sincere wishes that people had on their way to transport goods to western countries. it is called Dunhuang, and it hold hundreds of caves of buddhist statues that craftsman had built through out the years. sos I looked up some pictures in a book called ART MASTERPIECES OF DUNHUANG to find pictures for the work that I want to develop.

research on theme1

research on theme 1

I have recently seen a show by a chinese artist , and she tried to combine the art of ceramic with stage show, after seeing this as a new trend of development, I think it would be fun to try this in my work. to create a kind of puppet show20160104091051565ad.jpg.1

political concept for theme 1

I think Britain has a very high rate of horror attack now, and people all have some kinds of fear in their heart. So it's a time that they search for protection of some sort. I wish to build this sculpture of god flying in the air to consulate people and bring peace to them.

research on material.

I am not sure now what kind of clay is available for use. I hope to use white porcelain clay, also transparent glaze to build this figure, and it also requires setting up of mode. I hope that I wouldn't be using easy-dry clay anymore, cause the effect was awful. which porcelain clay can also help to express the smooth and softness of skin, and purity of the figure

research on the second theme

The explanation on wikipedia for dark arts can be generalized as a kind of art form, the theme of it was often about monster, death, dream, to express extraordinary fearless and peculiarity. dark arts can be seen as a kind of mirror that reflects the dark side of human nature, and remind us to face the dark side inside our heart. There are different kinds of expression such as painting, collage, photography, sculpture and ps. It brings a kind of eeriness feeling to people. The expression can be multiple, such as realistic, abstract,and surreal. 

research on dark arts

In sense of decoration, Dark Arts can be shown as gothic, rock arts and punk. As the well known gothic drapery lover patrica Morrison had said, "unlike some who put on gothic garments to look frightful, we are working hart to improve how we look. the theme of dark arts was often about love death and spirit. it also includes traditional gothic themes like vampire, witches and goblin. give away the terrifying look, dark or gothic style urged for the understanding of people. 

library visit

I went to the medieval styled city, Oxford, and visited an art museum thereIMG_3061.jpg.1

Text box

IMG_3057.jpg.1

research on materials

I was thinking about combining this theme with the first one because this one is about fear inside people, and the first theme is about protection. So maybe design this masters into patterns and print them on fabrics to make the statues wear them would be a good idea. this could be done by drawing or collages. 

research on theme 1

research on theme 1

theme 1

sketchIMG_2997.jpg.1

Text box

IMG_3060.jpg.1

Text box

IMG_2982.jpg