Collection: Part 3

Research

CLAIRE CURNEEN

she is a ceramic artist that I found on magazine and she mainly worked on religious purpose, like recreating the famous statue  by Michoangelo, curneen_2013_blue..jpg

geng xue

This artist was mentioned before, she was a chinese artist who gave me great influence because  of her trying to use innovation way to express her idea, she put ceramic figure on stage show, and used the texture of the material to creat a kind of mysterious feeling because I am working on religious icon, I thought this was really helpfulGeng Xue.jpg

LUCA DELLA ROBBIA

Robbia continued to create decorative schemes using his new technique, including the roundels of Apostles in Filippo Brunelleschi’s Pazzi Chapel in Florence, along with the terracotta decorations in the cupola of the porch (1443). In 1448 he was asked to glaze the vault of the Chapel of the Crucifix (San Miniato al Monte, Florence), which was designed by the famous architect Michelozzo. In 1449 he created the lunette over the entrance of the San Domenico church in Urbino. Working with assistants and apprentices, including several of his own family, Robbia went on to receive numerous relief and altarpiece commissions. One of the finest examples of his Renaissance art from this period is the enamelled terracotta ceiling of the Chapel of Cardinal of Portugal in San Miniato, Florence (1466). His last major work in this glaze medium was an altarpiece in the Palazzo Vescovile at Pescia (1472)

He was a renaissance artist who had great influence on me because of his use of pure color, like gold, yellow or sky blue. and I thought that the figure he created were all vividluca-della-robbia-virgin-thumb.jpg

research on theme3

this research is based on project 3, constructer and surface, because I have always wanted todo something other than cora hooks but there wasn't enough time. I liked the structures of undersea plants, they always grow in bunches, like coral, or sea weeds. and I think that there's a sense of beauty and wisdom in the structures built by animals in nature, for example, bee hives, and bird nest. the nest also inspired Chinese people to build their houses , like those wooden structures  in ancient times. so I really want to do something that's got to do with structure. IMG_3076.jpg

research on the first theme

the first theme was "protection" of course there is all sorts of protection on earth, but the one that I want to discuss about is the importance state that religions had in protecting people from fear in time of thousands of years. Buddhist, which even has a longer history than christian, and still had millions of followers through out the world, is the topic that I want to express through this work. In China there's a place which had stood for thousands of years and hold the most sincere wishes that people had on their way to transport goods to western countries. it is called Dunhuang, and it hold hundreds of caves of buddhist statues that craftsman had built through out the years. sos I looked up some pictures in a book called ART MASTERPIECES OF DUNHUANG to find pictures for the work that I want to develop.

research on theme1

research on theme 1

I have recently seen a show by a chinese artist , and she tried to combine the art of ceramic with stage show, after seeing this as a new trend of development, I think it would be fun to try this in my work. to create a kind of puppet show20160104091051565ad.jpg.1

political concept for theme 1

I think Britain has a very high rate of horror attack now, and people all have some kinds of fear in their heart. So it's a time that they search for protection of some sort. I wish to build this sculpture of god flying in the air to consulate people and bring peace to them.

research on material.

I am not sure now what kind of clay is available for use. I hope to use white porcelain clay, also transparent glaze to build this figure, and it also requires setting up of mode. I hope that I wouldn't be using easy-dry clay anymore, cause the effect was awful. which porcelain clay can also help to express the smooth and softness of skin, and purity of the figure

research on the second theme

The explanation on wikipedia for dark arts can be generalized as a kind of art form, the theme of it was often about monster, death, dream, to express extraordinary fearless and peculiarity. dark arts can be seen as a kind of mirror that reflects the dark side of human nature, and remind us to face the dark side inside our heart. There are different kinds of expression such as painting, collage, photography, sculpture and ps. It brings a kind of eeriness feeling to people. The expression can be multiple, such as realistic, abstract,and surreal. 

research on dark arts

In sense of decoration, Dark Arts can be shown as gothic, rock arts and punk. As the well known gothic drapery lover patrica Morrison had said, "unlike some who put on gothic garments to look frightful, we are working hart to improve how we look. the theme of dark arts was often about love death and spirit. it also includes traditional gothic themes like vampire, witches and goblin. give away the terrifying look, dark or gothic style urged for the understanding of people. 

library visit

I went to the medieval styled city, Oxford, and visited an art museum thereIMG_3061.jpg.1

Text box

IMG_3057.jpg.1

research on materials

I was thinking about combining this theme with the first one because this one is about fear inside people, and the first theme is about protection. So maybe design this masters into patterns and print them on fabrics to make the statues wear them would be a good idea. this could be done by drawing or collages. 

research on theme 1

research on theme 1

theme 1

sketchIMG_2997.jpg.1

Text box

IMG_3060.jpg.1

Text box

IMG_2982.jpg